Pages

Monday 3 January 2011

The Cavoodle (cavapoo) - The ultimate companion! Featuring my voodle, Addi.

Cavoodles are a cross between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel & a Poodle.
So basically -


Working at a boarding kennel I have met many Cavoodles, & I also have one myself.
So here are some reasons why you might love a Cavoodle as your next pet & some reasons why you might not...

Cavoodles - 

- Have amazing temperaments, they are gentle, friendly & extremely loving.
- Make brilliant companions, will be well suited to any age group & will do well even with a small backyard.
- Do not shed their fur, so they are quite clean & generally lack any bad 'dog smell'
- Are very sensitive & quite clever, & therefore fairly easy to train.
- Are super soft & floppy, it's almost like having a living plush toy!
- Adjust to your lifestyle, they can be active or lazy, but are not extremes of either
- Arrowface!!! (yes, this totally qualifies as a reason...)


However -

- As cavoodles do not shed their fur, they need to be clipped, especially in the summer! & when their fur starts to get long it can tangle & knot easily, so regular clipping is a must!
- Their friendly temperament & gentle disposition means they are useless guard dogs, they may bark at unfamiliar sounds, but as soon as they see a person they are (usually) reduced to a pitiful, squeaking, tail-wagging ball of love, your house would probably be safer guarded by a duck...
- They are a companion dog & can be quite needy. They require lots of love, & attention, if left alone too often they may cry, A LOT.
- They're better suited to being 'indoor dogs', as they really need to be part of the family.

I'd also like to extend a warning to anyone interested in getting a Cavoodle, be careful where you get your pup, I have seen a number of dogs which are passed off as Cavoodles, but absolutely are not. Make sure you meet the parents of the pup! & remember that although there may be some slight variation in looks & temperament between pups, both Cavaliers & Poodles are very pure, distinctive breeds, & a cross between the 2 should not yield too much variation.
 

Also note that a cavoodle is a cavalier x poodle, not a cavoodle x cavoodle, this yields 2nd gen puppies, which are different! For the record I do not encourage dog breeding, only dedicated registered breeders should breed animals, with a focus on optimum health & temperament. Always have your animal de-sexed, they will be calmer, & healthier. 

Also, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE research thoroughly before you decide to add an animal to your family, I highly recommend> dogbreedinfo.com but there are many other great resources. Grab a book, have a talk with your local vet, ask friends who have pets, anything! Know what you're getting into, it is a n enormous commitment.

Now I leave you with some pictures of my little Voodle, Addi, more commonly known as JiJi Bean -


She's changed so much over the past 8 months.


(22.01.2014)
Addi is now 4 years old, & more beautiful than ever.
We're always together. <3

4 comments:

  1. Hi there!
    So I have decided you are my new best friend. I have a cavoodle, whom I love like a spoilt furry child, and I have celiac disease!
    Your pup is very cute, I might add.
    In less than 2 weeks I go to collect my new baby cavoodle...I'm ridiculously excited!

    Sorry for sounding like a stalker,

    Gabbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happily accept this sudden friendship!
      It's pretty awesome you came across this post really. 2 celiacs who love voodles, what could be a better match up than that 'X)
      I'm addicted to my pup too, she goes pretty much everywhere with me :) Right now she's curled up on a computer chair so that she can be next to me [: )
      I'd love to see your pup, is there somewhere can see pics?...

      Thanks for the comment, pretty much made my day :D

      Delete
  2. This is such a very nice and very heartwarming post (sorry, I can't find any more suitable word). It's refreshing to see those photos of you with your cute and adorable companion. Yes, I agree with you. Cavoodle puppies, with lots of positives, makes it the best choice for first time pet owners, but I do agree with you as well that one must do their homework and do some research before settling with one.

    Very useful post. Cheers to you and your cavoodle pups. i'm with you ^_^

    Amey xoxox
    Cavoodle Puppies for Sale
    @ Ameyspuppies.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment :D
      After 4 years together with Addi, I can safely say that she's the most amazing animal I've ever had the privileged to know, I love her more than anything!
      I love that cavoodles have become so popular, however I do worry about poor breeding, & especially puppy farms :<
      Voodles make an excellent companion, but I hope people choose them responsibly, they deserve the best in life, as all animals do :)

      Delete

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...