Pages

Friday 14 December 2018

Meditation - artwork + app recommendations

Meditation (version one)

As you may guess from the title, I have started meditation practice again after many years of neglecting my poor brain.
My mood can sometimes be unstable, and I have collected anger from lots of different sources, and this was starting to take a toll on my everyday life.
Since starting daily meditation there have been major improvements in my thoughts, mood, and reactions. Even after just a short time of daily sessions, I find I can cope in difficult situations much better, and my anxiety has greatly reduced. c:

Maybe it goes without saying, but I do highly recommend meditation practice for everyone, no matter if you have obvious troubles or not, it will benefit anyone~

The concept of meditation is very simple, however the practice is quite challenging, and requires... practice~ The idea is to relax, stand/sit/lay comfortably, clear your mind, and focus on your breath, when thoughts arise you must gently push them aside and return your focus to your breathing.

There are some useful apps which can help guide you as you learn, here are three I have been using:

1. Oak Meditation - This is my go-to app, it is simple, easy to use, and totally free. I do a breathing exercise and a 20+ minute 'mindful' meditation each day. This app has some good features and a nice design. This would be my first choice regardless of your experience level.

2. Relax Meditation - This app has many features, but most are locked unless you buy a monthly or lifetime subscription. My favorite feature is creating a soundscape which you can meditate to. Relax has a lovely design, and plenty of features, this is a great app if you want to try some different sounds and guided meditation sessions.

3. Head Space - A standout app that has a fresh modern feel, the design is fantastic, complete with some really cool artwork and animations, and plenty of features. This one is at the higher end of the price range, but it may be worth the investment if it works for you. I completed the 10 day introduction to meditation, however the first two apps work great for me, so I opted not to pay for this one.

One other app which I have only tried briefly is 'Insight Timer', it has a huge amount of content, much of which is free. This app is somewhat more complicated, but worth a look if you want more variety.

My personal preference is something simple and straight to the point, which is why I think Oak works so well for me. There are plenty of other meditation apps to try, if you have any recommendations please don't hesitate to leave a comment with your experience.

Meditation (version 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...