Pages

Saturday 12 May 2012

Chickpea 'Mock Tuna' Recipe. It's been a long time coming...


I've made this stuff four or five times in the past fortnight, & each time I'd intended to photograph it & share the recipe, & each time I ate the lot  >_> I guess it didn't help that the battery for the camera went flat... No matter, because I've finally managed to get a shot of this elusive (delicious) food.
This recipe is based on the first recipe on this page, so give that one a try if you like, but the way I do it is pretty similar.
The finished product is referred to as a 'mock tuna', & whilst it looks kinda like tuna, it doesn't taste anything like it to me. There's no cooking required if using canned chickpeas, so it's almost impossible to mess it up.
This recipe does require some veganaise, which of course you can buy if you like, but mayo is pretty easy to make, & homemade is so much nicer, not to mention you can customise it to suit your tastes :) If you would like to make your own mayo, feel free to check out my Vegan mayonnaise Recipe. I use homemade veganaise in my chickpea salad, but if the mayo you're using is fairly basic (no herbs, etc) you may want to add some minced garlic & finely chopped parsley into the chickpea mix to add some extra flavour.

Chickpea 'Mock Tuna' Recipe

Ingredients:
- 1 can of Chickpeas (aka. garbanzo beans, ceci, chana)
- 1.5 - 2 TBS of homemade vegenaise 
- 1 medium Pickle (whichever type you like)
- 1 Artichoke heart (whichever you like, marinated, plain, etc)
- 1/4 - 1/2 a small Red Onion
- 1 tsp of fresh Lemon juice
- 5cm piece of Celery
- 1-2 tsp Dulse flakes (Optional. Adds fishy/ocean-type flavour)

Method:
1. Strain & rinse the chickpeas & set them aside to drain.
2. In the mean time finely dice the onion, pickle, artichoke heart, & celery, & set aside.
3. Put the drained chickpeas into a medium sized bowl, & use a fork to roughly mash them. Once there are no whole chickpeas left & the mix resembles mushed tuna it's done.
4. Add all the other ingredients to the mashed chickpeas & mix until well combined.
5. Munch immediately, or whack it in the fridge for later :D

I absolutely love this stuff, & my favourite way to have it is in a nori wrap with alfalfa sprouts & grated carrot (I'll get a recipe up for this asap)
Another great way to serve it is in a cos lettuce leaf, topped with dulse flakes, chopped walnuts & grated carrot ♥ ♥ ♥ (see below)



Enjoy everyone (◕ヮ◕)*:・゚

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...