Pages

Sunday 30 October 2011

Some good news if you love Bamboo :)



If you're like me & you think bamboo is incredibly beautiful & have always wanted some growing at your place, you might be interested to know that not all bamboo is invasive & difficult to control, as seems to be the common belief. There are 2 types of bamboo, 'running' & 'clumping' bamboo. The running variety can spread very quickly & may become extremely difficult to control, & near impossible to remove once well established 0_0 Luckily for us bamboo fanciers there is the clumping variety \[^o^]/ These bamboos (as the name suggests) only grow in a contained manner & are much easier to control, they can actually be quite challenging to propagate, which tends to result in them being a little pricey, usually upwards of $40 for a small plant. That's ok though because as many people already know bamboo is a type of grass & is one of the fastest growing plants on the planet, with certain varieties having been recorded at growing up to 1 meter in a 24 hour period [: I...
Bamboo has many uses, some varieties have edible shoots, the wood can be utilised in a huge variety of ways (& has been for centuries, especially throughout asia) it makes a beautiful, natural screen, & is very aesthetically pleasing. There are over a thousand varieties of bamboo, & they can vary greatly in size, shape, colour, foliage type, density, etc. I have been investigating varieties which are suited to my particular area (Victoria, Australia) & happily I have quite a few to choose from :) redcloudbamboo.com.au has some helpful information & photos, but I managed to find bamboogrove, which is closer for me, & they carry many of the same varieties :D
In the next couple of weeks or so I should have some lovely little bamboo plants in the garden & photos will definitely follow :p The only trouble I'm having is deciding which variety to choose, there are so many @_@'...


*Please note that these photos are NOT mine, they're all courtesy of Google images ':)


G'night all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...