Pages

Thursday 30 June 2011

Fried rice nori wrap DELICIOUS! XO


In my usual style (slow & haphazard) I have formulated another recipe which fits my 'nori adventure' theme , & here's how it came about -

This morning I was trying to think of something a bit different to do with some leftover rice, then I remembered it was probably about time to get some nori into my system. I decided fried rice with vegetables conveniently rolled up in nori might be good.
So I made up a simple fried rice, spread it on a sheet of nori & clumsily rolled the thing up. It was at that moment that I realised one of the best traits of nori, once it's gotten a bit damp it's quite strong, this in turn made me realise that nori would make a great wrapper for all kinds of delicious fillings -BOOM- Once your food is all wrapped up it's super easy to pack into a lunchbox.
My plan now is to come up with some interesting quick, easy & convenient 'nori pouch' type recipes.

This is the one I made today, it was an experiment, so it's turned out a little messy, but I still consider it a delicious success -


Fried rice nori roll recipe


Ingredients:
- 1/2 - 1 cup of Left over cooked rice
- 1/2 - 1 cup of Vegetables of your choice, I used:
   *1/4 of a small Brown onion
   *Small piece of Red capsicum
   *1 Medium Swiss brown mushroom
   *1/4 cup Peas & Corn mix
   *Small piece of Broccoli
   *1 Medium leaf of Silverbeet
   *A handful of roasted Cashews
- 1 sheet of Nori
- 2 tbs of GF Soy sauce ot Tamari (Highly recommend Spiral products)
- 2 tbs of Mirin (Spiral) - Be careful some mirin is not Gluten-free!
- Pinch of Salt
- Pinch of Pepper
- Oil for cooking


Method:
1. Prep all the veggies. Remove the stem from the silver beet, slice into short strips & set it aside. Coarsely chop the roasted cashew nuts & set aside. Finely dice the onion, capsicum & mushroom. Cut the broccoli into thin bite-size pieces. Set the peas & corn to the side.
2. On a medium setting, heat a small amount of oil in a skillet & add the onion, capsicum, mushroom, broccoli & a pinch of salt & pepper. Saute for a minute before adding 1 tbs of soy sauce & 1 tbs of mirin & continue sauteing for a few minutes until vegetables have softened slightly.
3. Add the peas & corn, & the silver beet to the skillet & saute for a minute until silver beet is slightly wilted, lower the heat & add the rice, 1 tbs of soy sauce & 1 tbs of mirin. Mix thoroughly until heated through.
4. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl & pour all over the vegetable rice mix & cover. After a few minutes use a spatula to flip the eggy fried rice, & cover again.
5. After another few minutes turn off the heat, remove the cover & break up the eggy fried rice.
6. Place a sheet of nori smooth side down onto a plate & evenly cover with the eggy fried rice mix, leaving some space on one end so it will seal closed. Sprinkle on the chopped cashews, roll it up & you're done! \ [^o^] /


Serve with some sliced tomato, or some OJ for Vitamin C to help aid iron absorption.

As you can see I didn't spread the filling out very well...
Try to spread it right to the top & bottom, but leave a couple of
centimeters bare on one side to seal it closed.

This is what it looks like all rolled up.
It was really, really tasty, probably better than most of
the ones you'd buy from a take-out place, & there was
no overpowering nori taste.

I will definitely be making this again, & of course you can make up whatever mix you like for the filling, this is just to give you an idea.

Nori time!

2 comments:

  1. Just made this from all the stuff in my fringe and it was sooo good! I suggest using a little bit of sesame oil, it tastes so awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm glad you liked it :D
    I've tried sesame seeds in the past, but I'll definitely give it a try with some sesame oil too :)
    Thanks again~ ^_____^

    ReplyDelete

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...