Pages

Tuesday 7 June 2011

Vegetable pancakes (((Good meal idea for leftover veggies

So I'm not gonna put this one under 'recipes' because it's pretty loose...


So I call these things vegetable pancakes, they're kinda like bubble & squeak, or maybe a bit like okonomiyaki (おこのみやき) which is a savoury Japanese pancake, they're very tasty & highly recommended by the way...


So basically all you do is make up a batter, kinda similar to a pancake batter, only it's savoury, so no sugar.


I personally use-
- Self raising flour
- Beer (home-brew, gluten-free of course)
- Stock
- Mirin
- Water
- Pepper
- Garlic (minced)


Stir all these ingredients well to form a batter roughly the consistency of thick paint. Do be careful not to make the batter too watery at this point because the veggies will release quite a bit of liquid ; )


Then all you do is hack up the veggies &/or leftovers you have at hand into fairly small pieces, give them a quick pan fry to soften them up a bit & stir them through the batter : ) I sometimes like to add cheese as well.


Then using a ladle scoop a good amount of the mix into a well greased, non-stick pan & fry it up. I use a medium-low heat & let it cook for around 3-5 minutes on both sides until they're cooked through & golden brown :D



These are tasty served with tomato sauce or mayonaise.

I hope this idea helps you save some veggies otherwise destined for the compost pile...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...