Pages

Tuesday 4 September 2012

I love you *s*p*r*i*n*g* !!! (´ ▽`).。o♡

Like many people, I suffer from a bit of hey fever, but nothing could stop me from loving spring! It's absolutely the season to get super busy out in the garden, & that's what I've been doing! Sowing seeds, planting (last minute) trees, prepping garden beds, spreading mulch, digging, pruning, all the good stuff c:
I've had the best time working outside, & I have an overwhelming feeling of joy when I see last seasons plants coming back & growing again :D The soil is gradually getting better, & I'm hoping for a bigger crop this year, although we're still going to be very exposed to the hot summer sun again :/ I have planted several fruit trees, but they're still teeny tiny, so they won't provide a whole lot of shade this year, but it's a start!
I'm beginning to regret not shooting a short video before I started, it would be great to compare the progress, but at least I have some photos :)
Speaking of photos, here are a few I took this afternoon...
...
 This is a young Sunroot plant, more commonly known as a Jerusalem Artichoke. The tuber that grows underground is the edible part of this plant, & I hear it's delicious, so I can't wait to try some :D I also hear they give you powerful gas, so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out :p These plants can grow vigorously, & potentially take over the garden, so I planted mine over in an empty secluded spot. I also planted some cucumber seeds either side, as they are companion plants, so (hopefully) it won't be alone for long :p
...
 This is my first little herb patch, with the ones who survived winter, they include; Vietnamese mint, Lemon balm & Oregano. There was a great deal of Basil, but it could handle the frost :o There's a small batch of lettuce to the right until the basil comes back...
...
 Ruby chard, looking amazing in the lovely afternoon sun (´∀`)♡... I love chard (aka Silverbeet), & happily our garden is full of it at the moment, so I've been adding it to my baked beans, green smoothies, pasta sauces, etc. The stems can vary in colour, depending on the variety, & I recently bought some rainbow chard seeds, & I can't wait to get it planted!
...
 Broad bean flowers :) I hope we see some beans before I gets too hot! [:o
...
 The first blossoms on the Mulberry tree I planted last week <3 I also got a Granny smith apple, Fuschia nectarine, Sunburst cherry, & Brown turkey fig. I hope they all do well 'X/
...
 Some of the first flowers on the strawberry plants, which are spreading themselves around nicely :D I hope we get more fruit from them this year, & I hope we can get to them before the slugs :/ They ate them before they were even fully ripe last year! We don't stand a chance against such shenanigans! maybe some borage would help...
...
& here is a beautiful young flower on my awesome borage plant :p Admittedly I haven't tried eating it yet, I'm still just too happy that I finally got a seed to germinateヽ(^。^)丿 I was even happier when it self seeded & came back all on it's own this year, & even stronger than last year c: The flowers & leaves are supposed to have a cucumber flavour to it, & they're well known for discouraging problematic insects, & encouraging beneficial ones :)
...
No doubt I'll be back out there tomorrow, there are endless things to keep me busy, & happy (yay!) I'll definitely remember my hat tomorrow too, cause my face is feeling a little too warm at the moment >_>...
Hopefully we'll have more success this year, & I'll have some awesome pics to show later on :)
...
Ja!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...