Pages

Monday 9 May 2011

Keep those containers! (((Jars, tins, plastic containers, the lot!

Until recently I always put jars, tins & plastic containers into the recycle bin, whenever I needed to store something I always went in search of plastic Tupperware containers to buy to do the job, this of course is not very eco-friendly, but expensive too! :o
One day not too long ago something changed in my brain & made me realise that the jars, tins & plastic containers I was essentially giving away would be perfect to store things in 0_0 I feel really silly admitting that it took me so long to realise, but it's something we're trained into doing our whole lives, 'if you have a need, you should go out & buy something to fill it'.
Happily I have realised this needn't be the case, recycling isn't just about putting things into the recycle bin, it's also about finding new uses for things. I now use empty jars to store nuts, seeds & rice, smaller jars are great for storing herbs & spices. Empty tins are perfect for storing biscuits, & plastic containers (like ice cream containers) are great for a huge variety of things.


It actually upsets me to think about all the containers I've gotten rid of over the years, I now have more things to store than I have containers for & it seems that just about every day I think of new uses for them, here are a few...
- Make your own ice cream & put it into an empty ice cream container (I actually plan on attempting this soon...)
- Storing homemade sauces or dressings (such as 'The anything dressing')
- Collecting & storing seeds to plant
- Large ice cream containers would be great to use to soak washable pads before putting them into the washing machine
- Storing anything you buy in packets eg. Bi-carb soda, mixed nuts, dried fruit etc
- Homemade baked goods will last very well stored in a tin with a lid, or an ice cream container


So maybe take a second look at the things you put into the recycle bin, they may be more use to you than you realise...



& of course there's always opp shops (thrift stores), which in my mind is a much better option than buying something brand new ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...