Pages

Friday 16 March 2012

2 things you can do every day to help the planet -Valuable waste-

I found this video very inspiring, basically it's about dealing with our waste more responsibly, & yep, I'm referring to pee & poo here...
Most people freak out when you start seriously discussing ideas like composting toilets, we prefer to flush our waste away (using fresh drinkable water no less!) & never think about where it goes or what effects it has on our home (ie. the planet) We've been trained to live & think this way, but it's no good, this planet is finite, there are only so many resources, & only so much room, & we're running out of both. We need to take a close look at ourselves & try to live much more carefully & truly be responsible for ourselves by cutting down the amount of waste we as individuals produce & consciously dealing with the rest in a responsible way.
For many years I've wanted to switch to a better system, like a composting toilet, however until we get our own place that probably won't happen, however this video did prompt me to start saving pee. Human urine is very clean & perfectly sanitary, so there's no need to be scared of it :p (unless you have some rare condition which affects your pee) & what many people may not realise is that, once diluted, it's really good for the garden! So what did I do? Quite simply I started wizzing in a bucket 'X) Yep, I decided that I wouldn't waste my pee any more, I'd put it to good use. I dilute it about 1:5, 1 part pee to 5 parts water, then I tip it near the garden beds (not directly onto them) so it can soak in gently & not actually go on any of the plants (It's not a good idea to tip it directly onto plants)
If you're interested in doing something like this then take a look around online, there heaps of great ideas for how to use your pee, rather than flushing it away for someone else to deal with. It may seem scary or odd at first, but it's really no big deal, it's already going somewhere anyway, in many cases into the ocean! So do the planet a favour, check out this video & consider that your waste could actually become a useful resource...
...
...
More here - permaculture.org.au
...
All the best everyone~
Ja!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...