Pages

Sunday 7 August 2011

We dug vegetable beds today [:D (((+ contemplating 'open worm farm'

We have wanted to start a vegetable garden for years now, but we haven't been in the right situation (renting is very uncertain >_>) & even tho we don't yet have our own place, we do have more security here & it's definitely good practice for the future ^_____^
So today we took the first step & made 2 decent sized raised beds [: ) We're planning on growing as many different vegetables as we can, we're really looking forward to starting some seeds (we ran out of daylight today :p)

Here are some photos of our progress so far...
The 2 raised, double-reach beds. On top of the soil is
some compost, then newspaper & on the very top is pea
straw. The walkways will be filled with wood chips, but
we haven't got any just yet.
Eli standing amongst the beds, they're pretty big [: )
It was getting kinda dark by this stage (& cold too) ["___"]
A small poly tunnel we'll be using to get some seeds
started, I'm so excited!
So this is pretty much the new view, Nice! ':D


It was great to get outside in the dirt, getting muddy is pretty fun :p My Mum even came down & helped, she did an awesome job, I was rightly impressed [:D
All in all it took around 4 hours (I'm not sure what time we started... @_@) Not long at all to set up 2 large beds to grow your own food, I definitely believe that absolutely everyone should learn a bit of basic permaculture design & then set up their own garden!

We're also planning on incorporating an open worm farm into the middle of each of the beds, this way the worms can come & go freely & our food scraps can be processed & turned into wonderful worm castings.

As I understand it it works something like this-


I've read that scraps can be processed much faster this way & the worms are more comfortable as they can escape excess heat, moisture, etc. So I'm very keen to see how this works out : )

I'm off to bed, definitely need a good sleep tonight,
ja ne...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...