Pages

Friday 19 August 2011

Our first seeds have sprouted + Seed planting/gardening resources ;D

Happily some of our seeds have sprung! :D It's mostly salads so far (damn those things grow fast 0_0) but there is a garlic beginning to sprout & a choko too ^_____^

Pics!-


I actually just realised that I've put these in upside down :p
Oh well, you plant you learn ':D I've turned them right-way
up now, & one of them is shooting out roots like crazy,
guess that one didn't mind being wrong way round 'XD
Actually I might have to move them into pots the roots
were so long 0_0 ...Fun times 8D
SALADS!!!



We have a good variety of salads going on now, & I've
recently planted more :p I'm really looking forward to
seeing the Darwin salad sprouts, it's a nice looking
salad : )

& this is our wee choko sprout growing like a champion!
Eli's father Bill gave us the fruit to grow these from,
thanks Bill! ^_____^ These are out in the open, not under
the polly tunnel, I've read they grow very well (almost too
well) in Australia, so I've got high hopes for some good
choko meals in the future :D
I moved the soil a little so you can see the fruit. We
have two of these chokos & both are growing nicely :3


So far I think we're doing ok, the more challenging part may be transplanting them & seeing how well they do outside the polly tunnel in the garden beds, hopefully it'll all work out, but we still have a little while until we can start moving them. So for now I'm just enjoying checking the sprouts every few days : )
Today I planted some Hungarian peppers & I might nick a few seeds from the capsicums in the fridge & see if I can get those going, but we need another bag of starting soil first (can't wait to get some good compost happening so we won't have to buy this stuff anymore ^___^')


& finally here are some resources for seed planting/general gardening:
Gardenate.com - This is one of my favourites, very informative & there's a phone app too, handy! [:D
Gardening Australia fact sheets
Selectorganic.com.au - Organic seeds (this is where we bought our first lot)
Greenpatchseeds.com.au - More seeds
Urbanfoodgarden.org - This site has some handy harts to show when to plant which seed
Permaculture.org.au - Great site, & there's an awesome companion planting chart here

as always I'll add more as I find them ;3


Ja ne~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...