Pages

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Eco friendly washing experiment featuring soapnuts! :D (((I've never been so excited to wash my clothes ':p

We were already buying the most eco friendly washing powder I could find to do our laundry, but I wanted to try something even better : ) A little while back I ordered some soapnuts, they arrived a week or 2 ago & I've been testing them out :D


This is the very first load, all ready to go out, I was pretty exited to test these things & see the result [: )
Here's a close up of what I used. In the parcel are a few soapnuts, some fresh lavender from the garden & a chunk of lemon peel. Next to that in the little cup is 1.5 tsp of bi carb soda, which is a great all round cleaner, I plan to test it out on the loo very soon >___>
We are both impressed with the results, the clothes look & smell really nice (even my filthy socks!) ':D
I reused the the same parcel to do the next load & it worked just as well. The parcel is all dried out now & ready to do a couple more washes :3
.
.
.


I've been pretty impressed with the soapnuts so far, I need to do some more testing, but for laundry at least, they work really well : )
I'm going to do some more testing & update you all on how they perform in other areas, in the mean time, you can try a 50g sample kit for yourself if you're interested, it's less than $10 including shipping (within Australia)
The one concern I have about this product (which is NOT so eco friendly) is that they grow in the Himalayas 0_0 That means an awful lot of transport to get them to the customer, so I'm going to investigate the possibility of growing these trees myself, I love the idea of growing my own soap :D Of course that will take time, trees surely don't grow overnight >_> Until I am able to source them more locally, ordering in bulk seems to be the best solution. One of the larger packs should easily last a full year (if not more)


I'm hoping that this post will inspire us all to think more carefully about what we wash down the drain, always remember that it all goes somewhere, the more natural & gentle the products we use the less harm we will do to eco systems & creatures on this planet.
An interesting thought to keep in mind is, there is no new water on earth, what we have now is all there is, & all there ever will be, we must take care of it! (I heard this on a science documentary about planets not long ago, it was a simple but amazing thing to realise .___.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...