Pages

Wednesday 20 April 2011

My first patch of crochet (((Small step for man, giant honking leap for me [: I

Not too long ago I decided to check out crochet.
Many people seem to be into this super craft so I thought I'd take a look myself.
I found that crochet seemed to be easier, quicker, & more forgiving than knitting, it sounded perfect for me! I'm not great at knitting, & I don't seem to have the patience for it (yet) either, so crochet could well be the answer to all these problems :D
I watched a video or 3 or youtube, & set off to find a crochet hook of my own. However all the op-shops I went to had piles upon piles of knitting needles, but no crochet hooks... I was feeling a little deflated when I tried the 3rd (& final) place, before I was going to admit defeat & pay retail for a brand new one. I asked the little old lady behind the counter & she happily pulled out a tin filled with crochet hooks! :D She even gave me a quick demonstration, then some random joined in & began showing me her technique (which was apparently European...) It was all great fun & I picked up the most basic stitch pretty easily : )
In the end I got 3 crochet hooks & a few yarn balls for $2 *o* Can't complain about that :p (Damn I love op shops <3)

So after all that, I messed around a bit & I think I have the hang of the first stitch \^o^/
I have a bit more investigating & practice to do, & very soon I'm going to make a scarf!

In the mean time, here is a pic of my first crochet patch!


So far I am finding crochet to be easier than knitting. It's quicker (for me anyway) & pretty easy to fix mistakes : ) Hopefully I don't run into any problems, but thus far I'm super impressed with it [:D

If you've never tried, why not give it a go yourself : )

I'll add some helpful links asap... but for now I must sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...