Pages

Saturday 9 April 2011

Some big ideas to consider... (((Changing our way of life to help ourselves, help the planet & ultimately animals & other people too

I've spent a few hours today reading my most favourite blog ***The OKO Box***


I really REALLY love this blog, I've learned so much about living more considerately, there are so many avenues of my life which I could improve upon & I might never have considered any of them if I had not found this blog.


So what I'm gonna do is throw up some links to some posts I really liked.
In no particular order...
- soy wax massage candles
- non toxic remodelling - So very important! 'Modern' housing frustrates me to no end, horrible toxic materials combined with ridiculous designs which have neither people or the planet in mind; building with natural materials & more in tune with nature is a HUGE step forward in my opinion, & something everyone should look into. Check out things like 'mud brick', 'Cob' & 'straw bale' houses, combined with 'passive solar design', 'thermal mass' & 'grey water systems' - I'll be posting more about these ideas soon...
- hemp slippers - I'm just a huge fan of slippers...
- menstruation the organic way - This post in particular had a pretty big impact on me & made so much sense, I'm gonna make the switch asap. Here are a couple of Australian stores which supply re-usable liners - wemoon & moonpads I'm sure there must be other stores out there, products like this can go a long way to help our health as well as the environment, so feel free to share any extra info you find : )
- what can you live without
chemical free cleaning frenzy
aaand
- using the 'wonder wash' - What a seriously awesome idea! Get a bit of exercise & clean you're clothes quickly all the while saving water & electricity. I've often wondered about a washer that is somehow powered by a bike, & likewise a spinner to help drain some water before you hang them to dry, experiments that I will DEFINITELY try in the future :3


Many of the ideas within these posts support a thought I have had for a long while now,
"If you wouldn't/shouldn't put it in your mouth, perhaps you shouldn't be using it..."


Reading these posts has also helped me realise that I need to think more widely about how to live a more healthy 'green' life, not just recycling & avoiding plastic bags (although that's a start) but to consider even the often overlooked areas of my life, from the clothes I buy, to the sanitary products I use, etc etc. I have always tried to buy green, but now I wonder if I can go even further, like using lemon juice & bi carb to clean rather than buying any commercial cleaners at all, & using washable pads instead of horrible throw-away ones.


So I hope people find these ideas as brilliant & useful as I have.
Good luck if you're starting to make the switch to a more 'green' lifestyle ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where I want to go - 2 landscapes

I always have a feeling of wanting to escape to somewhere. A beautiful and interesting land where I can build a home and live freely. I'...